Monday, September 19, 2011

THE NYFW-FAVORITES. SPRING 2012. THE GANAS EDITION.

I know I said this month was dedicated to audible indulgence, and I promise, there is MORE coming. However, this is also, first and foremost, a month dedicated to Fashion Week's around the world. SO, I've compiled a breakdown of my favorites from New York, and also noted reasoning to why they are such. Enjoy my compilation.
PRABAL GURUNG SPRING 2012


Yes, I am a going to jump on the bandwagon with Prabal this season. Reason? It was a well rounded collection playing on the dichotomy of being trendy and masking trendiness. Playing with and combining the big ones such as: mixing patterns, sheer, pleating, slits, short suits, iridescent metallic, feathers or faux feathers (I can rarely tell the difference from afar), florals, purple, satin and bondage; and somehow, softening the blow upon impact. I loved every single look and could not believe the perfection of the collection and it's craftsmanship. Plus, he paired the clothing with some seriously killer music by Lana Del Rey and M83. If he was attempting to channel some sort of message, I could hear him loud and clear. Over.

RODARTE


Why? Well, to be honest, it wasn't my favorite of their collections. However, I am consistently confounded by their ability to create pieces that remain true to their design aesthetic, (remarkable prints, flowy asymmetrical tiers, and effortlessly cool) and furthermore, continue to create with a purpose of unconcerned originality and unconventional beauty. It's not that they can do no wrong. It's called unconditional love for a reason. That and they always have the most emotive and nostalgia enducing runway music. This time it was Morrissey's "Every Day Is Like Sunday". My personal favorite.

ZAC POSEN


Two words. Silhouette and Structure. I rest my case.

SALLY LAPOINTE


I love her concept. The clothing is attempting to remit a ghostly nostalgia, to convey a haunting presence inspired by the expired patients of an abandoned smallpox hospital in NY. The kicker for me was a print designed to mimic the hospital's decomposing wallpaper. Ghastly inventive.

3.1 PHILLIP LIM


I absolutely love everything about this collection. The minimalism, the pastel pairings/colorblocking, and the black assymetrical racerback tanks and jumpsuits. All of the looks are wearable, uncomplicated, and effortlessly gorgeous. Last but definitely not the least of my reasons for loving this collection were the pastel blue heels with the silver soles. Come on!

PREEN
I am in LOVE. The interpretation of peplum, collars, transparency, pastel prints, texture mixing, matching, and the block heel peep-toe booties. I did say love, no? 
These were my favorite looks from the Preen Collection that didn't really get highlighted in the video. I shall shine a light on thee...
  
Y-3


 Yohji Yamamoto is consistently innovative and also consistently on point. That balance alone shows his desire for reinvention and subversion. I admire him for those qualities. A person, any individual not much different from that of myself or yourself, who is not afraid to travel the path of most resistance. I always look to his designs for inspiration. His pieces are what one might wear when there is a moment of pure ease and individuality--to look as if you've just thrown something on, and yet, you convey an undeniable identity. A really cool one at that.

YIGAL AZROUEL
Yigal reminds me of a nubile Celine or Jil Sander. Minimal yet bold and classic-ly effortless. In one word, CHIC. Or six--Tilda Swinton in "I AM LOVE."

 
Till next time, I see London, I see France...


**Photos and Video courtesy of New York Magazine Blog, The Cut

No comments:

Post a Comment